Canadian Design and Construction Report staff writer
Infrastructure Ontario and Quinte Health Care have issued a request for qualifications (RFQ) to find a contractor for the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital redevelopment project.
Submissions will be reviewed to shortlist teams with the required construction experience for the project, as well as the financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and complexity. Shortlisted teams will then be invited to respond to a request for proposals (RFP) which is expected to be released in the fall of 2023. Interested companies must register with merx.com to download the RFQ.
The Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Site Redevelopment project is being delivered using a design-bid-build model. The architect and engineers of record, under contract to Quinte Health Care, are completing the design documents. This RFQ is to select a contractor to deliver the project based on these designs.
The hospital was designed by Canadian architect Jason‐Emery Groen. At a public meeting in December 2022, Groen explained how the focus on natural light and clear, open spaces would ‘de-institutionalize’ the look and feel of the hospital; as well as incorporating energy efficient windows, use of sustainable materials wherever possible and the importance of integration with nature with staff and patient gardens to provide respite.
“All of these features and potentially more are within the design scope and are being considered as part of the planning process,” he said.
Being constructed behind the current facility, Groen emphasized the importance of the building fitting into the landscape of the community, but with capacity to accommodate future expansion.
Key features will include:
- 20 inpatient beds with design potential for up to 23
- 24/7 emergency department
- acute inpatient unit supported by physicians within the Prince Edward Family Health Team
- inpatient pharmacy
- satellite hemodialysis unit
- ambulatory care including clinics, medical day care, endoscopy and medical device reprocessing
- diagnostic imaging including x-ray, ultrasound, mammography and cardio-diagnostics
- central laboratory
- efficient access to other Quinte Health hospitals, secondary care in Belleville and tertiary care in Kingston
- new helipad
The new design will incorporate natural light in the atrium, energy-efficient windows throughout and sustainable materials wherever possible.